Lamar State College Orange welcomes a variety of students, many of whom bring an established knowledge base with them to the campus. To recognize such knowledge, Lamar State College Orange awards credit on the basis of the Subject Examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP).
CLEP Credit Granted by Lamar State College Orange
|Subject Examination||Credit -
|History and Social Sciences|
|American Government||50||3||GOVT 2305|
|The other half of the state mandated requirement must be satisfied by taking GOVT 2306.|
|*History of the United States I:
Early Colonization to 1877
|*History the United States II:
1865 to the Present
|*A total of six hours (HIST 1301 and HIST 1302) may be awarded; however, a student must take three additional hours of classroom instruction in American history to satisfy the state requirements for graduation.|
|Human Growth and Development
|Introduction to Educational Psychology(Elective Only)
(Does not meet Teacher certification requirements)
|Introductory Psychology||50||3||PSYC 2301|
|Introductory Sociology||50||3||SOCI 1301|
|Western Civilization I:
Ancient Near East to 1648
|Western Civilization II
1648 to the Present
Composition and Literature
|American Literature||50||3||ENGL 2326|
|English (British) Literature||50||3||ENGL 2326|
|Analyzing & Interpreting Literature||50||3||ENGL 1302|
|**College Composition Modular||50||0/3||ENGL 1301|
|**The quality of the essay will determine the amount of credit awarded, either 0, or 3 hours.||0/3||ENGL 1301|
|NOTE: The above composition and literature exams require the optional essay test before receiving credit at Lamar State College Orange. See the attached information regarding CLEP essay evaluation.|
Science and Mathematics
|College Algebra||50||3||MATH 1314|
|**General Biology Elective/No Lab||50||6||GEN BIO|
|**Gen. Chemistry Elective/No Lab||50||6||GEN CHEM|
|French Language - two semesters||50||6||FREN 1311,1312|
|French Language - four semesters||62||12||FREN 1311,1312,
|German Language - two semesters||50||6||GERM 1311,1312|
|German Language- four semesters||63||12||GERM 1311,1312,
|Spanish - Language - two semesters||50||6||SPAN 1311,1312|
|Spanish Language - four semesters||66||12||SPAN 1311,1312,
|Principles of Macroeconomics||50||3||ECON 2301|
|Principles of Microeconomics||50||3||ECON 2302|
|Principles of Management
*(For Non-Business Majors Only)
|Business Majors||55||6||ACCT 2301,2302|
|Principles of Marketing*
*(For Non-Business Majors Only)
|Intro. Business Law*
*(For Non-Business Majors Only)
|Info. Systems and Computer Applications||50||3||COSC 1371
or COSC 1301
**The subject examinations for general biology and general chemistry will not meet lab science requirements. These may be used for elective requirements only.
POLICY FOR THE EVALUATION ESSAY COMPONENT FOR COMPOSITION AND LITERATURE EXAMS
The director of freshman English and one tenured department member, ordinarily the head of the department, will evaluate the essay portion of the CLEP examination. In the event of conflicting evaluations, a third faculty reader judges the examination. The College Composition Modular essay may be judged deserving of no college credit, or of three hours (ENGL 1301) credit. A written record of the evaluative comments on CLEP essay examinations must clearly be above average, at least B grade quality, to be judged deserving of credit. More specifically, the essays are judged by the following holistic criteria:
- CONTENT: Do the essays contain sufficient relevant intellectual content? Are generalizations concretely supported?
- RELEVANCE: Do the essays respond to the actual topics assigned?
- ORGANIZATION: Are the thoughts communicated in reasonable order, particularly as evidenced by paragraph organization?
- USAGE: Are the essays largely free of problems in standard English usage, particularly problems such as sentence fragments, run-on sentences, mixed or incomplete constructions, subject-verb disagreements, tense shifts and general misuse of standard mechanics?
Lamar State College Orange awards credit on the basis of the Subject Examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). A student may receive up to 30 hours of academic credit.
Except for satisfying the course work-in-residence and the state mandated American history and the American government requirements, credit earned by examination is equivalent to credit earned by taking the course. Credit will be awarded only when the student is enrolled at Lamar State College Orange at the time of the examination. It is the student's responsibility to request CLEP credit placed on his/her records. Credit will not be awarded if the student had received prior credit for the same course or its equivalent. Grades will not be assigned, and hours will not be used in computation of a grade point average.
At this time, Lamar State College Orange recognizes the ACE recommended scores as the criteria for granting credit. We reserve the right to change these required scores at any time. Any changes made will supersede any other policy.
CLEP TEST REGISTRATION
- Contact the Testing Office to schedule an appointment for testing. The Testing Office is located in Room 104 of the Ron E. Lewis Library. You may also call 409-882-3330 to schedule testing.
- Complete registration and remit exam fee prior to appointment through the My Account registration portal at https://clepportal.collegeboard.org/myaccount. A voucher will be generated, which must be presented upon check-in on test day.
- A $15 non-refundable service fee must be paid to Lamar State College Orange for each exam taken. This fee should be paid to the cashier on the third floor of the Ron E. Lewis Library and the receipt brought to the test.
For Your Information
- The Testing Center number for Lamar State College Orange is 8372.
- Examinees must present acceptable photo I.D. prior to testing. Students will not be permitted to test without presenting photo I.D.
- LSCO requires a CLEP Test Essay for the composition and literature exams. The essay typically takes three to four weeks to be returned from scoring.
- Single subject study guides can be downloaded from the College Board website, and the CLEP Sampler can be downloaded at www.collegeboard.com/clep.
- Scores from exams are sent electronically to CLEP. In rare cases errors in transmission may occur that may result in a retest. Lamar State College Orange is not liable for any electronic errors of this nature. Upon verification of this occurrence, LSCO will waive the $15 service fee if a retest becomes necessary. The examinee must contact CLEP regarding the CLEP fee.