Test Prep (TSI Assessment & more)
Please select the appropriate preparation material. The practice items contained in these materials will help you identify areas in which you may need help. Learning Center tutors are happy to assist you.
Contact Number: 409-882-3373
Effective the January 11, 2021, the new Texas Success Initiative Assessment 2.0 (TSIA2) replaced all other tests used for course placement. Completing the required Pre-Assessment activity helps familiarize students with the content and purpose of this test.
Visit the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) website for information about Developmental Education and the Texas Success Initiative.
The Accuplacer Student Portal - Texas Resources provides TSIA 2.0 test prep materials in printable PDF format.
- Student Information Brochure
- Interpreting Your Score
- Sample Questions - English Language Arts & Reading
- Sample Questions - Mathematics
- WritePlacer Guide with Sample Essays
The Accuplacer Web-Based Study App is a free test-prep site from the College Board. Create a username and password; then select Texas Success Initiative 2.0 (TSIA2). The app is accessible on computers and mobile devices. More college placement test prep resources from the College Board are available here.
Additional TSI and college placement testing study aids:
- TSI Practice Materials are available for purchase from College-Placement-Test.com. Students may also access a short free online sample quiz covering skills commonly tested on college placement exams.
- Union Test Prep offers free online study guides, practice tests, and flashcards for the reading, writing, and math sections of the TSI exam.
- MathHelp.com offers free access to videos and practice tests for the math portion of the TSI.
- KhanAcademy.org is a completely free resource that includes videos and practice modules for all levels of math.
TSI test prep help through the Ron E. Lewis Library:
- Test prep books are on reserve for use in the library and the Learning Center.
- TSI Texas Success Initiative Math Practice Tests: 185 TSI Math Practice Problems and Solutions, Academic Success Media, LB2353.7 T85 2013
- TSI Texas Success Initiative Reading and Writing Study Guide, Academic Success Media, LB2353.7 .T8 2007
- On the LSCO campus (or for students with LSCO campus login), students may access Learning Express Library database, which offers practice tests and study guides in math, reading, and grammar/writing. To find practice tests specific to TSIA content, select College Students > State Placement Test Preparation > TSIAPreparation.
Helpful resources from other campuses:
- TSI Practice Tests from Houston Community College include self-assessments with feedback for reading, writing, and math.
- TSI Preparation from Austin Community College includes printable math prerequisite reviews (PDF format).
- TSI Math Review, a slide presentation (in PDF format) from Lone Star College, covers topics and skills necessary for placement into college-level math courses.
General Skills Practice for College-Readiness and Placement Testing
EdReady (a project of the NROC Project) offers free access to self-assessments and personalized study modules for English and math, as well as college placement exam practice. To try it out, click "Get Started" and "Enter As Guest." Then, select your goal -- GED/TABE prep, College Readiness, Common Placement Exams, SAT or ACT -- to begin. To save your progress, create an account (email address required).
Although ASSET, COMPASS, ACT, and THEA are not used for course placement of entering students, study guides for these tests contain material similar to TSI and may provide supplementary skills practice.
- ASSET (Assessment of Skills for successful Entry & Transfer) *Discontinued product of ACT.org.
- COMPASS (Computerized Adaptive Placement Assessment and Support System) *Discontinued product of ACT.org.
- ACT (American College Testing) *Product of ACT.org.
- THEA (Texas Higher Education Assessment)
ETS Proficiency Profile
All students preparing to graduate with an Associate of Science (A.S.), an Associate of Arts (A.A) degree, or an Associate of Arts Teaching (A.A.T) degree are required to take the ETS Proficiency Profile prior to graduation.
- ETS Content - College-level Reading and Writing, Critical Thinking, and Math.
- ETS Sample Questions *PDF
- Scoring Guide for the ETS Essay.
Program Entrance Tests
Some programs of study at LSCO may require one of the following entrance exams. Contact the appropriate program office for details about about a specific exam and necessary scores.
- LSCO Testing Center--TEAS Information
- Learning Express Library database is available on the LSCO campus, as well as off-campus to students with LSCO login. Select Career Preparation > Prepare for Nursing Exams > ATI TEAS Practice Tests.
- TEASPracticeTest.com -- 150 free TEAS practice questions that match the style and format of the actual test. Practice tests include four content areas: Reading, Mathematics, Science, English & Language Arts.
- Test Prep Review -- free self-assessment modules covering a number of topics relevant to the TEAS.
- TEAS VI Test Guide from Tests.com.
- ATI TEAS Practice Tests in English, math, reading, and science -- a free resource created by Mometrix Test Preparation to help students better prepare for the Test of Essential Academic Skills (not affiliated with ATI).
- ATI TEAS Study Manual for the Test of Essential Academic Skills, Version VI, call no. LB2353.7.T35 A85 2016. Copy & paste title into the Ron E. Lewis Library catalog search box and click the "title" button to bring up the catalog record.
- TEAS Prep -- Online Practice Test, TEAS V Study Guide, and TEAS V Package available for purchase from ATI.
- Free apps for ATI TEAS practice are available on iTunes (for iPhone) and Google Play (for Android).
Admission Assessment Exam (A2)
LSCO's Allied Health Upward Mobility Nursing Program requires students to take the HESI Admission Assessment Exam (A2) as a condition of admission.
- LSCO Testing Center--A2 Exam Information
- Admission Assessment Exam Review, available for purchase form Elsevier.com.
- Evolve Reach Admission Assessment Exam Review, by Donna Boyd. Copy & paste title into the Ron E. Lewis Library catalog search box and click the "title" button to bring up the catalog record.
- To promote test prep materials and other services for sale, a number of companies offer a variety of free online practice tests for HESI A2 and other nursing exams. HESIA2PracticeTest.com is one example.
- Free apps for HESI A2 practice are available from iTunes (for iPhone) and Google Play (for Android).
Graduates of LSCO's Vocational Nursing Certificate Program take the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). Graduates of LSCO's Upward Mobility Nursing AAS Program take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
- Downloadable detailed test plans and other NCLEX resources from the National Council of State Boards of Nursing.
- NCLEXPNPracticeQuestions.org and TopNursing.org offer several free sample practice tests for the NCLEX-PN.
- Free online test-prep for the NCLEX-RN is available at KhanAcademy.org.
- LSCO campus-provided resources:Two short practice tests from Tests.com: NCLEX-RN practice test and Practice Exam for NCLEX-RN.
- Learning Express Library database (available through the Ron E. Lewis Library; must log in to access off-campus), includes practice tests and study guides for the NCLEX-RN and NCLEX-PN (located in the Career Center section of the database, under "Prepare for an Occupational Exam").
- Board Vitals NCLEX-PN, NCLEX-RN, Question Banks: Must register with your campus email address (@my.lsco.edu).
- Free apps for NCLEX-PN/RN practice are available on iTunes (for iPhone) and Google Play (for Android).
On the LSCO campus (or for students with LSCO campus login), students may access the Learning Express Library database, which offers practice tests and study guides for academics (select form several Centers: Adult Learning, School, College Preparation, College Success, College, College Plus, or High School Equivalency) as well as occupational entrance and certification exams (select Career Center Plus).
Tests.com offers some brief, free practice tests for a variety academic and career exams, including Math, Algebra, Grammar, Spelling, ASVAB (for military), PRAXIS (for teachers), NCLEX-RN, TEAS, and more.