Lamar State College-Orange
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
Welcome to the Lamar State College-Orange SACSCOC reaffirmation website! Here you will find resources and information to help us all engage in an ongoing, collaborative process. Below you will find a listing of fundamental characteristics of accreditation to which the Commission on Colleges adheres, found in their "Philosophy" in The Principles of Accreditation: Foundations for Quality Enhancement. They should serve us well as sometimes we need to step back as we are hard at work and might not see the forest for the trees, as the saying goes.
- Participation in the accreditation process is voluntary and is an earned and renewable status.
- Member institutions develop, amend, and approve accreditation requirements.
- The process of accreditation is representative, responsive, and appropriate to the types of institutions accredited.
- Accreditation is self-regulation.
- Accreditation requires institutional commitment and engagement.
- Accreditation is based upon a peer review process.
- Accreditation requires an institutional commitment to student learning and achievement.
- Accreditation acknowledges an institution's prerogative to articulate its mission within the recognized context of higher education and its responsibility to show that it is accomplishing its mission.
- Accreditation expects an institution to develop a balanced governing structure designed to promote institutional autonomy and flexibility of operation.
- Accreditation expects an institution to ensure that its programs are complemented by support structures and resources that allow for the total growth and development of its students.