Test Prep (TSI Assessment & more)
Please select the appropriate preparation material. The practice items contained in these materials will help you identify areas in which you may need help. Learning Center tutors are happy to assist you.
Contact Number: 409-882-3373
Effective the first class day of the Fall 2013 semester, the new Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment replaces all other tests used for course placement. Completing the required Pre-Assessment activity will help familiarize students with the content and purpose for the test.
Visit the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) website for more information about the the Texas Success Initiative and Developmental Education.
- Student Information Brochure
- Interpreting Your Score
- Approved Cut Scores
- Test Content
- Background Questions
- Sample Test Questions
- Write Placer Guide with Sample Essays
Additional TSI Assessment study aids:
- TSI Web-Based Study App is now free from the College Board. Click "Add to Cart," and then "Check Out." Fill out billing information (including email address) and click "Continue." You will not be asked for credit card/payment information. Click "Continue" again to view order confirmation. Check your email for instructions on how to activate your study app at http://accuplacerpractice.collegeboard.org/. You will not need to download any software to your computer or device.
- TSI Practice Materials created by Academic Success Media are available for purchase from College-Placement-Test.com. Students may also access a short free online sample quiz covering skills commonly tested on college placement exams.
TSI-relevant test prep help available through the Ron E. Lewis Library:
On the LSC-O campus (or for students with LSC-O campus login), students may access the Learning Express Library database, which offers practice tests and study guides in math, reading, and grammar/writing (located in the College Center section of the database).
Helpful resources from other campuses:
- TSI Pre-Assessment Activity from Houston Community College includes freely available videos, reviews, and interactive practice tests for all three subjects tested: reading, writing, and math.
- TSI Preparation Resources from Austin Community College include printable math prerequisite reviews (PDF format).
- TSI Math Review, a slide presentation (in PDF format) from Lone Star College, covers topics and skills necessary for placement into college level math courses.
- TSImath.com, a pre-assessment activity offered by South Texas College, features an auto-scored math review quiz that includes how-to-solve videos for each question; the quiz is also printable in PDF format.
Although ASSET, COMPASS, ACT, and THEA are not used for course placement of entering students, study guides for these tests contain material similar to TSI and may provide supplementary skills practice.
- ASSET stands for Assessment of Skills for Successful Entry & Transfer.
- ASSET Math 1*PDF
- ASSET Math 2
- COMPASS stands for Computerized Adaptive Placement Assessment and Support System.
- The content and format of ASSET and COMPASS are similar to the ACT. (Both ASSET and COMPASS are discontinued products of ACT, Inc.)
Program Entrance Tests
Some programs of study at LSC-O may require one of the following entrance exams. Contact the appropriate program office for details about about a specific exam and necessary scores.
- LSC-O Testing Center--TEAS Information
- TestPrepPractice.net -- free online TEAS tutorials and practice tests in Reading Comprehension, Sentence Correction, Math Problem Solving and Sentence Completion.
- Test Prep Review -- free self-assessment modules covering a number of topics relevant to the TEAS.
- TEAS VI Test Guide from Tests.com.
- Study Manual for the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS), Version V, by Amanda Wolkowitz. Copy & paste title into the Ron E. Lewis Library catalog search box and click the "title" button to bring up the catalog record.
- TEAS Prep -- Online Practice Test, TEAS V Study Guide, and TEAS V Package available for purchase from ATI.
Admission Assessment Exam (A2)
LSC-O's Allied Health Upward Mobility Nursing Program requires students to take the HESI Admission Assessment Exam (A2) as a condition of admission
- LSC-O Testing Center--A2 Exam Information
- Admission Assessment Exam Review, available for purchase form Elsevier.com.
- Evolve Reach Admission Assessment Exam Review, by Donna Boyd. Copy & paste title into the Ron E. Lewis Library catalog search box and click the "title" button to bring up the catalog record.
- HESIprep.com offers a free practice test (login required).
Graduates of LSC-O's Allied Health Upward Mobility Nursing Program are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
- Downloadable detailed test plans and other NCLEX resources are available from the National Council of State Boards of Nursing website.
- Free online test-prep for the NCLEX-RN is available at KhanAcademy.org.
- On campus (or with LSC-O login when off campus), students may access the Learning Express Library database (available through the Ron E. Lewis Library), which includes practice tests and study guides for the NCLEX-RN and NCLEX-PN (located in the Career Center section of the database, under "Prepare for an Occupational Exam").
- Two short practice tests from Tests.com: NCLEX-RN practice test and Practice Exam for NCLEX-RN.
On the LSC-O campus (or for students with LSC-O campus login), students may access the Learning Express Library database, which offers practice tests and study guides for academics (select form several Centers: Adult Learning, School, College Preparation, College Success, College, College Plus, or High School Equivalency) as well as occupational entrance and certification exams (select Career Center Plus).
Tests.com offers some brief, free practice tests for a variety academic and career exams, including Math, Algebra, Grammar, Spelling, ASVAB (for military), PRAXIS (for teachers), NCLEX-RN, TEAS, and more.