Distance Education at LSC-O
Learning at a distance involves a separation between the instructor and the student. The student may be located across campus or in another country. New technologies have removed many obstacles and provided benefits for everyone involved. The use of technology has also engendered new kinds of challenges for students in distance education.
Distance education courses can be more demanding than traditional classroom courses. Learning at a distance requires an additional degree of perseverance and self-direction. You will need to manage your time efficiently, take the initiative to keep up with your class work and be diligent to meet assignment deadlines.
Benefits of enrolling in an online course at LSC-O are:
- Wonderful opportunity to take classes from nationally recognized online instructors.
- Excellently delivered online classes
- "Attend" class anywhere you want. Log on to class using any computer with Internet access - at home, at work, at the local library, or on campus.
- "Attend" class anytime - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Wide variety of communication tools such as safe and secure chat rooms, email and discussion boards to communicate with your instructors and classmates.
- Set your own time-schedule. Work at your own pace while remaining mindful of deadlines and due dates.
- Avoid traffic jams, save gas, money, and time!
The course management system or platform used for distance education at LSC-O is primarily Blackboard, which is accessed through the Internet. To log in to these online classes, students must have access to the Internet.
Distance Education Information
- Mission and Goals
- Proctoring through ProctorU
- ProctorU Website
- Technical Support
- Department of Education Compliance