Welcome to career planning and placement at Lamar State College-Orange. You are important to us, and we appreciate your interest.
The Career Planning and Placement Office provides support services by appointment to current students and alumni. The office aids students in developing, evaluating, effectively initiating and implementing career plans. Information regarding career opportunities and career options is provided with access to local job postings.
Job placement assistance is available to all students and alumni. Full-time, part-time and summer employment opportunities are posted on the campus as they become available. The office maintains current information on career fields and the job market.
A collection of career books, periodicals and other resources with information on current career outlooks, salaries, education requirements and other occupation information is available in the Career Planning and Placement Office for student and alumni use.
The Career Planning and Placement Office is located in room 363 of the Ron E. Lewis Library.
Summary of Services
- Career salary projections
- Self-directed career searches
- Part-time campus employment
- Summer employment opportunities
For more information contact the Advising and Counseling Department at 409-882-3340
- Links to Free On-line Career Assessments
- Links to Resume Samples
- Links to Other Job Sites
- Links to Other Employment Internet Sites
- Link to Additional Sites for Career Guidance
- Links within LSC-O
MAPP (Motivational Assessment of Personal Potential) www.assessment.com/
- This is an interest survey, similar to the Strong Interest Inventory offered in five languages.
- Allow 15 to 20 minutes to complete.
- It is a collection of 71 options, each consisting of three statements. You must indicate which statement you most prefer and which you least prefer.
- When you have finished, you can review your free detailed career analysis.
Future Step www.futurestep.com/
- The Career Style Feedback can help you determine what kind of position and organization best suit your decision-making and communication styles.
- Additionally, this tool identifies environments and opportunities where you will most naturally thrive, not just where your skills match.
- The Desired Job Characteristics help you determine the importance of personal motivators, from wealth creation to increased responsibilities to a more favorable work/life balance.
- A customized chart ranks your motivators and weights them relative to each other.
- Finally, Future step's Salary Feedback provides your estimated market value, based on your desired position and geographic preference as well as your current industry. The feedback is then adjusted using additional information you provide during registration, including education, work experience and your current salary information.
Career Key www.careerkey.org/index.html
- A free online interest assessment instrument used to match interests to potential careers.
O*NET Online www.onetonline.org/
- A useful tool for career exploration and job analysis including salaries by state and projected growth. Majors required. *free resource
O*NET Online Military Crosswalk Search www.onetoline.org/crosswalk/MOC/
- A useful tool for translating military work into civilian work. *free resource
Occupational Outlook Handbook www.bls.gov/ooh/
- A publication of the United States Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics that includes information about the nature of work, working conditions, training and education, earnings, and job outlook for hundreds of different occupations. *free resource
- Houston Jobs - Site includes employment opportunities throughout the Houston area. Job seekers can post their resumes for free.
- TWC Governor Job Bank - This site includes employment opportunities in Texas.
- Texas Workforce Commission - This site covers resume writing, interviewing techniques, career planning, etc. Assist in career planning, offers labor market information, including, but not limited to, job trends, wages, various job market data, etc.
- Summer Jobs - This site includes summer employment opportunities, full-time and part-time, throughout the United States.
- AOL Workplace
- The Monster Board
- Nation Job Inc.
- The Black Perspective
- Veterans Enterprise
- Women in Business & Industry